Let Discover About Lemongrass Tea! And Benefits Of Lemongrass and Ginger Tea
Lemongrass is a plant of the grass family scientifically called Cymbopogon citratus has multiple uses as in gourmet and therapeutic purposes since it has a perfect aroma of lemons. One use of the plant is that it is consumed as a beverage, Lemongrass Tea which is found to be effective for health issues.
½ cup of finely chopped lemongrass
½ cup of finely chopped mint leaves
Jaggery for sweetening
1 teaspoon tea leaves (any type)
- In an empty pot, fill it with 5-6 cups of water.
- Add the chopped lemongrass along with mint leaves.
- Then add jaggery to the mixture and mix the leaves well for the flavour.
- To increase the flavour you can also add lemon juice and ginger root (Optional method).
- After mixing the mixture well, then bring it to a boil.
- Keep it high flame till it starts to boil evenly and then add tea leaves to it (Optional method).
- Lower the flame for proper steeping of the tea leaves along with the mixture.
- Remove the pot after the tea has become aromatic.
- Strain the lemongrass and mint tea into a cup.
- Serve the tea hot with some light biscuits aside.
Nutrient values as per serving:
Lemongrass tea Benefits
Despite being a beverage produced from grass species, the lemongrass benefits range from being a rich source of flavonoids to being a herbal drink that works well to function a healthy mind and body. The lemongrass tea made from it is considered an herbal drink that proves to be a healing brew for people with health issues.
Benefits of lemongrass tea:
- Health benefits.
- Physical maintaining benefits.
- Mentally care.
● Health Benefits of lemongrass tea
1. A powerful antioxidant- According to research, lemongrass has antioxidant properties which can help remove free radicals in our body that can cause disease and also helps in the prevention of abnormality of cells function.
2. Has antimicrobial properties- The tea is found to be effective in treating oral infections and cavities as it shows an ability to fight against the bacteria Streptococcus mutans which causes tooth decay.
3. It reduces inflammation in the body- Citral and geranial, the two main components in lemongrass are responsible for their anti-inflammatory properties. And it can reduce inflammation as in heart disease and stroke.
4. It reduces cancer risk- It can cause cell death directly and can boost the immune system to be able to fight against cancer on its own.
5. Helps in maintaining good digestion- A home-made remedy for stomach cramping, constipation, stomach flu, gastric, ulcers, and other digestive problems.
- Acts as a diuretic.
It can increase the production of urine out of the body.
- It reduces high systolic blood pressure.
- It can alleviate symptoms of premenstrual syndrome:
The properties of anti-inflammation and its ability to reduce stomach cramps and are found to be also helpful to reduce the pain for menstrual cramps and bloating.
● Physical maintaining benefits
Lemongrass tea has a great source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C in which both are essential for developing and maintain good skin. It has the property to circulate the blood regularly to the skin cells by which it clears up the skin and treats the eruptions made by acne, pimples, and eczema.
It also helps in losing weight because of its diuretic property lemongrass tea is also a detox drink that can prove to boost up the metabolism and burns more calories in the body.
● Mentally care
Lemongrass tea is also used in dealing with mental issues like dealing with stress and depression. Being a natural antioxidant can aid in reducing anxiety symptoms. The tea is often consumed before bedtime as it can bring relaxation to the mind after a stressful working day.
The aromatherapy of the lemongrass tea stimulates brain cellular activities and fights body fatigue, depression by enhancing the transmission of nerve impulses which thus then refreshes the mind and boosts up the thinking ability. It is also used to treat people with insomnia disorder by calming the nervous system and this leads to the proper functioning of the brain without any mood swings.
Lemongrass and ginger tea
As described before that ginger root can be added as an optional ingredient in the main lemongrass tea. Thus, adding ginger not only gives a delicate woody-citrus aroma with an exciting flavour but also enhances the properties of lemongrass tea which make it even more like a ‘healing brew’.
Benefits of lemongrass and ginger tea
- Aids indigestion- Ginger so-called as a medicinal root is known to be able to promote more absorption property from the stomach to the small intestine.
- Mouth freshener- Ginger being a spicy tone releases an enzyme that breakdown the reaction causing bad breath and thus brings a refreshing aftertaste that keeps the mouth fresh.
- Caffeine-free tea- Both the ingredients do not have caffeine which thus makes the tea herbal and healthy to drink and it also great for body texture.
Lemongrass tea side effects
The tea is totally fine but people having an allergy to lemongrass can develop some symptoms and also some side effects.
- Difficulty in breathing
- Rapid heartbeat
- Possible side effects
- Dryness of mouth
- Abnormal urination
Lemongrass tea is not for all. Some people with some conditions cannot drink lemongrass tea since it can cause them a lot of problems. Just like people having an allergy to lemongrass can having a hard time consuming the tea, people who are,
- On diuretics prescriptions
- Low heart rate people
- Having a low potassium level
should not drink this tea as it is risky and can cause a serious issue.
Lemongrass tea a beverage out of grass turns out to be a herbal tea with a whole package of flavour when mixed with ginger and of all herbal teas, the lemongrass tea's health benefits are proving to give a huge deal to cover up the health issues. No wonder that it is called a ‘healing brew’. Though it has many essential properties it also has side effects and risks for some people and it may seem difficult for them to consume. But overall the benefits of lemongrass tea are incredible.